Wednesday, November 19, 2014

November 30th, 2021

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Fowler,

This is Katerina Healy, Martin's fiance.  I'm writing this letter to you in his journal in case I don't survive in my attempt to make it to you in Mariposa, CA.  If you're reading this, it means I didn't make it to you.  If I did make it to you, then I would have deleted this entry so I could tell you in person what happened.

Your names weren't in your settlement's registry of survivors when Martin last checked the website, so we assumed you most likely didn't survive the fire.  We were going to settle in Rhinelander.  After I recovered Martin's tablet, I checked the website again and saw your names Evelyn and Peter added to the registry.  That's when I knew I had to seek you out.  I want to deliver his journal to you.  It was a record of his last two months alive.

I have to let you know what happened to your son after he turned.  I killed him, like I promised him. After several days have passed without Martin returning, I grew worried and convinced Theresa, who was now the mayor of Rhinelander, to organize a search party.  It took a week of searching the highway from here to Terre Haute until I finally spotted his car from the interstate at the truck center.  
I will spare you the grizzly details, but he ate Hector and Temperance.  Martin was still stuck in that truck center, still recognizable as the man I loved.  He did not recognize me at all, crawling along the floor toward me with his hands out, fingers like claws.  I didn't want to do it, but it wasn't the first time I had to kill someone I loved for losing them to this evil disease!  Just know even though he looked like your son, he was far from it. Martin Fowler was dead long before I put the bullet in his head.  He wanted it this way.  I fulfilled his last wish.  My only regret was that I wasn't there to do it before he completely turned.  

Martin's accomplishments have been well documented so there's no need for me to go over again what he did.  Even though he couldn't save everyone he came across, he saved me.  He saved your grandchild.  Martin will live on through it.  I love him so much, I still can't go a minute without crying.  He meant everything to me, and if I wasn't pregnant with his child, I would have shot myself next.  I'm so sorry that there was nothing I could do to save him. I really wish I could have met you two,  Martin was so amazing, and I'm sure it was because you were such amazing parents!   I hope you don't get to read this entry. I really, really don't.

Your daughter-in-law to be,

Katerina Hearly

-------------------------------------------------

To whomever finds this journal,

I ask you that you take it to Mariposa, CA and give it to Evelyn and Peter Fowler.  I hope you read through it all and understand how important it is that it reaches his parents.  They need to know what happened to their son.  Put yourself in their shoes.  Imagine being separated by from your child for two years on completely opposite sides of the country.  If there was some kind of information regarding what happened, you would like to know, wouldn't you?

I know what I ask of you might be hard, or even impossible to do but if you have any way of doing it, please attempt to get this tablet to them.  Also, like Martin had asked at the beginning of his journal, if you find me walking around somewhere, please pay me the same courtesy of putting me down.  I don't want to be one of those things, killing and turning people, walking to nowhere for forever.

Thank you for doing this. I hope there will always be a tomorrow for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment